Hi, Luke:

You might also want to DSPMSG QSYSOPR and DSPLOG (QHST) to ensure you do not see any messages about "exceeding the interactive capacity" of the system or LPAR.

This will depend on the exact model and feature code of your IBM i system and LPAR configuration.

This could cause the symptoms you described, for example if you have a machine with "zero interactive" or a small value of CPW for interactive (or OLTP) and some users are occasionally signing on to a 5250 session, rather than accessing the system via a web browser (CGI, etc.). Once the system decides you have exceeded the threshold, it punishes those interactive jobs by making them appear to consume an inordinate amount of CPU (At least, that's my understanding.)

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 9/19/2011 2:53 PM, Luke Gerhardt wrote:
Thanks, all for the thoughts! I guess I need to do some debugging /
performance tracing to see where I need to protect the system from my
own caffeinated logic... ;)