On 9/12/2011 9:48 AM, Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc. wrote:
Of course the OP doesn't say whether the jobs must complete successfully, or just be finished running. The add 1 subtract 1 method does not work if you are just waiting for all the jobs to be gone. Say something ends abnormally, the data area will never get back to zero.

The two easiest options are the plus one/minus one data area (for when the jobs must end successfully) and the lock on the data area for when you only care when the jobs end. Alan didn't happen to mention what to do when one of the 17 jobs fails, so I'm still not 100% certain what he wants to do.

A combination of the two is actually pretty slick. You wait until all the jobs finish via the exclusive lock, and then check the data area. If it's zero, all jobs finished successfully. If not, then at least one job failed (in fact, the number in the data area tells you how many failed). Simple!

Joe