From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Blake.Moorcroft@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 9:57 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Cc: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx; midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How do you determine when numerous SBMJOBs have ALL finished

Hello Alan...

With regards to the submission process, does the program that performs the submission (we'll call it BIGSUBMIT) continue to run while waiting for these other jobs to finish before submitting PROGRAMLAST?

I'm asking because we use a process that will submit a job and then wait for a response. We submit the secondary job with a unique message queue name and have the calling program perform a RCVMSG from that message queue with a wait time of *MAX. The secondary program finishes and passes back a status message which is then acted on by the calling program.

ex:
SBMJOB CMD(CALL PGM(SECONDARY) PARM(&ANYPARM)) +
JOB(SECONDJOB) JOBQ(ANYQUEUE) +
INLLIBL(*CURRENT) MSGQ(&MSGQNAME)

RCVMSG MSGQ(&MSGQNAME) MSGTYPE(*COMP) WAIT(*MAX) +
MSGID(&MSGID)

This works because we're not submitting a large # of programs and the wait time is not excessive. It might not be feasible for you if the number of jobs submitted is really large and they are taking a substantial amount of time to complete before the last program is submitted.

Have a good day.

Blake Moorcroft
Analyst/Programmer - Corporate
Russell A. Farrow Limited
2001 Huron Church Road, PO Box 333, Windsor, Ontario N9A 2L6
Bus: 519-966-3003 ext. 566
blake.moorcroft@xxxxxxxxxx

Alan Shore <ashore@xxxxxxxx>
12/09/2011 09:36 AM
Please respond to

"midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
How do you determine when numerous SBMJOBs have ALL finished

Good morning all
I have one job that submits numerous (a lot) of submit jobs
Once ALL of them have finished SUCCESSFULLY, I need to submit another one
(let's call it PROGRAMLAST)
I was just wondering if anyone else is doing or has done the same thing,
what process was used.
I am toying with the idea of using a data area and within each SBMJOB
adding 1 to this data area and checking for a particular value in the
PROGRAMLAST program
This would mean that PROGRAMLAST would need to be always submitted, but
waiting for a value to appear in the data area

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Direct Response
E:AShore@xxxxxxxx
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill