Hi Gary,

Yesterday, the process failed repeatedly, receiving "Error number
3029." when attempting to process a file on the IFS using the
QP0L_ProcessSubtree api (thank you to Scott Klement).

No problem! Any time you want a process to fail with 3029, I'm your man!

The confusing thing to me is why the resource busy message would prevent
completion of step 1), but allow the "busy resource" to be moved in step
2).

To me, it makes sense that an object can be moved when it's in use, but can't be changed when it's in use. After all, you can move an IFS object without affecting a program that has it open. (Heck, you can even delete an IFS object without affecting a program that has it open!)

But... I don't understand why your process doesn't abort when it gets the EBUSY error? If step 1 fails, why does your program continue on to step 2? Perhaps that's a bug.

I have reviewed midrange list discussions on CPE3029/resource busy, but,
as stated above,
am not certain if the busy resource is the file object or the
directory/folder.

I welcome suggestions on how to research, analyze or avoid this problem.

When you open a file with the open() API, you can specify O_SHARE_NONE, O_SHARE_RDONLY, O_SHARE_WRONLY, or O_SHARE_RDWR.

Perhaps your program should try to (at least momentarily) open the file and specify O_SHARE_NONE, to make sure you're the only one using an object before trying to manipulate it? I'm not familiar enough with the process to know if I'm right about that -- but it's something to consider.