From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Evan Harris
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:48 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Netserver shares after V7R1 Upgrade

Hi All

I did a V7R1 upgrade on the weekend (3rd one in the last 7 days...) and
everything went according to plan with the exception of re-establishing
windows shared folders afterwards. The customer was a little unclear on
what was occurring but they were getting messages on the Windows box(es)
along the lines of "Not enough storage is available to complete this
operation" when they tried to access the shared folder. If they
disconnected and reconnected then the share worked as expected.

We loaded C1116710 and the latest groups and Hipers on the box as part
of the upgrade. I did a little searching but was unable to come up with
anything related to shares and V7R1, although I didn't really expect to,
but there was clearly an issue. The shares were primarily against QDLS
and there was a mix of specific and guest profiles involved. There
wasn't anything I could identify as common to all of them other than
that they were Windows boxes that had a share established. Rebooting the
boxes also seemed to fix the problem.

That started me thinking that it probably wasn't really an iSeries
problem, but more likely some kind of Windows share issue. The main
difference between the upgrade outage and other outages like systems
saves is that the system was unavailable for much longer. I'm wondering
whether Windows marks the shared drives inaccessible or unavailable
after some period of time so that the only option is to reconnect the
share. Is there any documentation anyone knows of that would support or
clarify why the shares would stop operating ? Anyone had any similar
experience or developed a work around for this kind of scenario ?

Just for the record: I'm not really a fan of Windows Shares, and even
less a fan of using QDLS, but history and the widespread use of
commodity software is against me.
--
Regards
Evan Harris