On 11-Jul-2011 08:38 , Timothy Adair wrote:
<<SNIP>> I tried to run a test on a job I'm working on and it bombed
because one (and only one) of the work files was already there. I
checked the file (DSPOBJD) and it says that I created it at 7:04 this
morning. Now, at 7:04 I was driving to work so I can assure you I was
not signed on to the system at that time. And I have no batch jobs
running at that time. <<SNIP>> we're on V6R1, and the work file is
normally created (and deleted) by a CL program. In testing, it's
always run interactively.

I have investigated several incidents with similar descriptions, and most have been the result of an inquiry message having been responded to; e.g. cpa0701 for the default CL run-time exception processing. Investigated soon enough an inquiry may be found easily in the QSYSOPR message queue. However spooling the history and searching for the user type and identifier, then reviewing the associated message text for any inquiry might find a suspect, and finally either reviewing the joblog for that job if available or just making an inference based on the date\time; first searching the history directly from just before the noted timestamp is often immediately enlightening, having used DSPLOG QHST PERIOD((0703 *CURRENT)), since in my experience the create activity often happened very soon after the reply was received. Usually with a combination of WKRUSRJOB *CURRENT *ACTIVE and WRKSPLF the creation message is found in an active or spooled joblog; or more directly, from the WRKJOB on the job that had an inquiry responded to sometime before the create.

Regards, Chuck