On 07/07/11 11:42 AM, Burns, Bryan wrote:
Brand new user said she can't get the Refresh Data option working that's
located right above the Transfer Data from System i option in Excel.
She thinks she might be missing something. Well, I've never used the
option and mine is grayed out. Anyone know how the Refresh Data
function works?

Bryan,

First thing you need to do is to determine whether the data she's looking at to be refreshed came in via MS Query or via the iSeries Access data download add-in.

I don't use the add-in so I can't really speak to it, but I do use the MS query functionality all the time. If this is an MS Query and the Refresh Data is not allowing usage, the most likely cause is because custom field/column headings were used and the cursor's on the headings. Put the current cell on an actual data cell and the Refresh button should now be pressable.

If it's still not pressable there's either a security restriction in place via Excel (2007 seems to have a number of them) -or- (and I think this is the real reason), the data was either downloaded via the iSeries Add-in or just copied from the original data table.

Bill