On 6/30/2011 9:51 AM, Glenn Hopwood wrote:
As Michael pointed out in his response, you can use FTP over ssh or you
can you do FTP with SSL. It's not as secure as ssh but I think it's a
little easier to set up.

Please elaborate on that. How is it easier to set up?

In my experience, there's really no setup involved in either sftp (the FTP-like interface to SSH) or ftps (FTP over SSL). The trouble is getting it to work over a network involving firewalls and NAT. It's a major headache, and often not possible to get FTPS working in that environment -- whereas sftp _just_works_.

So saying ftps is easier to set up baffles me. It's less secure, and it's much harder to get working. It's also harder to automate/script (if you want error detection, anyway) and it's much less versatile.

But, I'm interested in your experiences, and how they differ from mine.

This thread ...