On 24-Jun-2011 11:39 , John.BresinaJr wrote:
I am working on restoring/migrating all our libraries from our 5.4
system to 7.1 and don't want to screw up on QGPL and QUSRSYS. I know
when I restore all the other user libraries I will do a RSTLIB *ALL.
When doing QGPL and QUSRSYS I don't think I want to do that. I was
thinking it would be more like:

RSTLIB SAVLIB(QGPL) DEV(*SAVF) SAVF(Z042596TST/QGPL) OPTION(*NEW)
MBROPT(*ALL) ALWOBJDIF(*ALL) RSTLIB(QGPL)

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

That seems the preferable action for a side-by-side migration for the objects and members. Although that still leaves any additions or subtractions to be applied from the v5r4 system which were not merely objects and members; i.e. actions that had changed any user data in those libraries, or removed any object or member.

Regardless of what migration procedures are followed, do not forget that the QSYS2 library is also one of those quasi-user libraries; i.e. QSYS2 has effectively the same issues as do QUSRSYS and QGPL for an improperly performed migration.

If not a side-by-side migration, then perhaps the scenario is for migrating data to a pre-installed 7.1 system? I would suggest following a documented migration procedure instead of trying to just add any objects and members that are not already there. For example, the scenario presented [i.e. what might be inferred from RSTLIB *ALL] seems likely best effected by the migration procedure [in the Advanced Backup and Recovery Gd as I recall] that goes much like:

To perform an actual migration that would mimic an upgrade from the N-2 release on existing disks, the entire contents of the v5r4 backup should be restored after a scratch install of the 7.1 with only, both LIC and OS. That after RSTUSRPRF *ALL the restores of all of the v5r4 objects and data would include restoring all objects and data into the *empty* quasi-system libraries QUSRSYS, QGPL, and QSYS2. Being empty libraries, there is no concern for messing up the database relations for use of ALWOBJDIF(*ALL) nor any data inconsistency issues for success in restoring only some of the old data when using the ALWOBJDIF(*FILELVL) instead.

Regards, Chuck