Chuck, somehow I had missed this. Thank you, it is very useful!

Dennis Lovelady
"I would rather men should ask why no statue has been erected in my honor,
than why one has."
-- Marcus Cato (2nd century BC)
"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not
deserve them."
-- Mark Twain

I had started with almost the identical approach as Richard, although
intending also to identify generally when a "category lacks" just one
element to have a complete match; included in the potential matches are
those with count [number of elements in a set] one less than another
set. Although I had started with CREATE VIEW, I changed each here in
the code example below to be a CTE. The snippets may or may not be of
any value or interest to you:

<code>

create table qtemp/md (ctg char(5), cod char(1))
;
insert into qtemp/md values('CCVAC','V'),('ALLAB','G')
,('ALLAB','V'),('ANYCD','V'),('SRVAC','G'),('SRVAC','V')
,('XXXXX','X'),('XXXXX','G'),('XXXXX','V')
;
drop function CtgCodes
;
create function CtgCodes
(InCtg varchar( 5)
) returns varchar(120)
language sql
set option dbgview=*SOURCE
begin
declare NoRows condition for sqlstate '02000' ;
declare err0100 char(1) default '0' ;
declare CodVal varchar( 5) ;
declare CodList varchar(120) default '' ;
declare GetCodes cursor for
select cod from qtemp/md where ctg = InCtg order by cod ;
declare continue handler for NoRows
begin
set err0100 = '1' ;
end ;

open GetCodes ;
while err0100<>'1' do
fetch GetCodes into CodVal ;
if err0100<>'1' then
set CodList = CodList concat ':' concat CodVal ;
end if ;
end while ;
close GetCodes ;
return CodList ;
end
;
with
mdcnt as /* category list plus counting elements in each */
(select ctg, count(*) as cnt
from qtemp/md group by ctg )
, mdpot as /* potential matching sets or superset by one elem */
(select a.ctg supctg, a.cnt supcnt, b.ctg subctg, b.cnt subcnt
from mdcnt a inner join mdcnt b
on ( a.cnt = b.cnt or a.cnt = b.cnt+1 )
and a.ctg <> b.ctg )
/* optional; change final select to use mdpot if omitted: */
, mdexc as /* exclude pair reversals for the matching sets */
(select dup.*
from mdpot dup exception join
( select max(supctg, subctg) supctg, subctg
from mdpot where supcnt=subcnt ) exc
on dup.supctg=exc.supctg and dup.subctg=exc.subctg )
/* category superset and subset [match] pairs and elem counts */
select /* supctg, subctg, supcnt, subcnt */
supctg concat case when supcnt=subcnt then ' matches '
else ' eclipses ' end concat
subctg concat case when supcnt=subcnt then ''
else ' by ' concat varchar(dec(supcnt-subcnt,3))
concat ' element(s)' end /* known:by 1 element */
, char(ctgcodes(supctg),10) concat ' vs ' concat
char(ctgcodes(subctg),10)
from mdexc /* or mdpot which keeps the duplicate pairs */ xxx
where subcnt =
( select count(sub.cod)
from qtemp/md sup /* superset */
left outer join
qtemp/md sub /* subset */
on sup.ctg <> sub.ctg and sup.cod = sub.cod
and sub.ctg = xxx.subctg
where sup.ctg = xxx.supctg )
order by /* supcnt-subcnt, */ supctg
;
/* report: */
String Expression String Expression
ALLAB eclipses CCVAC by 1 element(s) :G:V vs :V
ALLAB eclipses ANYCD by 1 element(s) :G:V vs :V
ALLAB matches SRVAC :G:V vs :G:V
ANYCD matches CCVAC :V vs :V
SRVAC eclipses CCVAC by 1 element(s) :G:V vs :V
SRVAC eclipses ANYCD by 1 element(s) :G:V vs :V
XXXXX eclipses SRVAC by 1 element(s) :G:V:X vs :G:V
XXXXX eclipses ALLAB by 1 element(s) :G:V:X vs :G:V
******** End of data ********
;
drop table qtemp/md
;