From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Graap, Kenneth
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:02 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: Problem using OR in SQL Statement

This SQL select statement containing an 'OR' within the Where clause will not run to completion, hangs until cancelled...

SELECT PRMNBR, EVTDTE, EVTTME, USRID, EVTRMK FROM P1FILES.KSEVT E WHERE (EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%'
AND EXISTS(SELECT * FROM P1FILES.KSEVT
WHERE PRMNBR = E.PRMNBR AND EVTID <> E.EVTID
AND EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%'))

OR (EXISTS(SELECT * FROM P1FILES.KSEVT
WHERE PRMNBR = E.PRMNBR AND EVTID > E.EVTID
AND EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%')

AND EXISTS(SELECT * FROM P1FILES.KSEVT
WHERE PRMNBR = E.PRMNBR AND EVTID < E.EVTID
AND EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%'))

However, breaking the statement above apart and running the two parts separately does work...

Using the statement containing only the first portion of the Where clause, left of the 'OR', returns 390 rows...

SELECT PRMNBR, EVTDTE, EVTTME, USRID, EVTRMK FROM P1FILES.KSEVT E WHERE (EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%'
AND EXISTS(SELECT * FROM P1FILES.KSEVT
WHERE PRMNBR = E.PRMNBR AND EVTID <> E.EVTID
AND EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%'))

Using the statement containing only the second portion of the Where clause, right of the 'OR', returns 1738 rows...

SELECT PRMNBR, EVTDTE, EVTTME, USRID, EVTRMK FROM P1FILES.KSEVT E WHERE (EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%'
AND EXISTS(SELECT * FROM P1FILES.KSEVT
WHERE PRMNBR = E.PRMNBR AND EVTID <> E.EVTID
AND EVTRMK LIKE 'CIS CONTRIB. ACCT #%'))

Does anyone know why this won't work with the OR ???????

This is being run on a V5R4M5 system...

Kenneth E. Graap | Systems Administrator keg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:keg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 503-226-4211 x5537 http://www.linkedin.com/in/kennethgraap

Notice from Bob Evans Farms, Inc: This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information that is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments.