Joe,

This is an old thread, I've had the same problem for months, and I just
solved it for myself.

In i Access properties, I have it set to a folder of my choosing
("C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\Emulator\Private" the old place what
used to be the default some releases ago). I have my pcswin.ini and *.ws
files in that folder.

I looked in the default folder ("C:\Documents and Settings\jeff\Application
Data\IBM\Client Access\Emulator\private") and, lo and behold, there was a
pcswin.ini and *.ws files in there that looked suspiciously like copies of
those from the "folder of my choosing". I blew these files away and viola,
it now works as I expect. (I don't know how they got there, I suspect the
V7R1 install copied them there. Just a guess.)

It's as if even though I say to use a different folder, it still checks the
default folder(s) first.

If you haven't resolved it for you, you might give this a try.