John.BresinaJr wrote:

I have a server that the LIC is corrupt on and IBM wants me to
perform a Slip of the License internal code. I have tried doing
this using the image catalog on the server with I_BASE_01 in the
image. It hasn't been successful. IBM wants me to load the DVD
in the drive. Our data center is several miles away. I don't
have the .iso images on DVD, I could burn them at home. However
the partition is on a Power6 560 with several AIX servers and VIO
Servers. We are getting all of our Ethernet, Fiber and Disk from
the VIO servers. I know with AIX you can create a Virtual DVD on
the VIO servers and they can share/attach it to the AIX servers
for use. Can we also do that with the IBM "I" partitions? I am
thinking this would make installs of DVD images on the iSeries
much easier than spinnin
g the physical disks that IBM now wants to charge us for.

IBM i partitions can also use virtual media repository provided by
VIOS.
If the repository is not yet created, you have to manage it with
appropriate commands:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/topic/iphcg/ip
hcg_virtualmediarepos_commands.htm
Once it is created, you can populate it with any kind of ISO files
with mkvopt command.

The VIOS needs a virtual SCSI server adapater created through the
profile or through dynamic LPAR.

You also have to create a virtual CD device with the mkvdev command:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/topic/iphcg/mk
vdev.htm
When creating the virtual CD device, you can assign it to the virtual
server adpater.

And last, you need, on your IBM i partition, a virtual SCSI client
adapter created, here also, through the profile or through dynamic
LPAR. This client adapter will show as a storage device ressource
within IBM i partition hardware resource manager. Normally, you should
also have a CD drive device using this resource. Assigning this client
adapter to VIOS server adapter will load the ISO file in the virtual CD
drive on the IBM i partition.