On 20-Apr-2011 16:56 , James Lampert wrote:
CRPence wrote:
Try this modification to direct to the external procedure in the
named *SRVPGM:

EXTERNAL NAME 'WTDEVELOP/CENSORACCT(Procedure_Name)'

That unscrewed me. After fixing a few other things, it
works beautifully.

Once the UDF was working and registered, I had to tear down and
recreate the VIEW that uses it to censor the data.

Question: Now that the UDF is registered on this ILE RPG SRVPGM,
what happens if I have to modify the SRVPGM? Do I have to DROP and
reCREATE the UDF and the VIEW?

Since v6r1 the ALTER FUNCTION statement is available; I do not recall ever using that statement. This UDF was "external scalar" and the syntax for that is found at the following link; separate links are available for SQL scalar, and both external and SQL TABLE functions:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/db2/rbafzafsce.htm

To get the SQL information associated with [i.e. added to or replaced in] the *SRVPGM, re-register the UDF either by DROP FUNCTION and then CREATE FUNCTION or by ALTER FUNCTION which presumably should suffice [when available]. Otherwise the "function resolution" for the reference in the VIEW should work just as before the changes; I do not recall ever having to recreate a VIEW unless the UDF would no longer function such as with interface changes. Both the DROP and ALTER are enabled by default, though can be prevented if the RESTRICT clause is specified and the UDF is still referenced in the VIEW [or wherever usage of the UDF is tracked]; use the RESTRICT option to be sure deprecated references are removed before the DROP or ALTER.

Regards, Chuck