John -

I haven't had time to examine it too closely, but %SST or %SUBSTRING is a CL
built-in operation. %subst is the equivalent built-in operation for RPG.

For greater simplicity, my preference has always been to create the QRYSLT
statement section in a separate variable which is then concatenated with
rest. In Control Language, if you have the TAATOOLS installed, BLDQRYSLT is
a great tool for building the QRYSLT statement - it has been around for
almost 30 years...

- sjl

John wrote:
2000 characters.

I don't see how PDM could have an error with cmdbuf if it was too small,
say 100 characters - since this is a syntax issue that I have missed.

This was a modification of an original effort from several years ago.
Been so long, I can't recall how I generated the original,
but I believe I did it from a command line -
then F14 and broke it into chunks. Just didn't break it up nicely.
I can't recall why I did this within RPG except that maybe I had
maybe thought the syntax was easier then with CL.
Written as a CL command, it looked almost as nasty as
some sed expressions I have seen.