Vern,

As I indicated below, a mirrored set up will have equally or poorer performance in a moderate I/O environment. If that environment slides more towards lots of read vs. write, then performance of a mirrored system will out run a RAIDed one.

Write cache has a massive impact on I/O performance. The more write cache the better. Ask anyone who has lost the batteries on the raid card what happens when write cache goes away. Ugly things happen.

So, a 6 drive mirrored system with LOTS of write cache, most likely works great. Same set up with RAID-5 and same cache, it depends on the read/write mix, but the 6 drive RAID set may out perform the mirrored one. Either way it will work well, the key is write cache.

A three drive RAID-5 with standard write cache is going to be very poor in its I/O performance. The cost of adding sufficient cache to make a three drive system work well is high enough that you would be better off buying more drives instead.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC