One other small point, but an important one.

Ground yourself before you touch the new memory and/or the system. Acquire and use a grounding strap! An alternative is to grab the chassis with both hands and hold it for a second. Chances are you won't need it, but IBM CEs rarely use them because they can just go get more parts, you may not have that option. An IBM CE can replace the planar board if he fries it, I'm guessing you can't. This very small prophylaxis may save your system, and your job.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC