Jerry,

I think power consumption is the wrong track. If you want to cost justify the upgrade, you have to look to the most expensive elements of their IT infrastructure and get better performance out of those items. Chances are, those expense items are YOU, and the IBM i.

You already took a great first step by demonstrating your knowledge of the system and loading Query so that they could more efficiently get reports. Business managers thrive on data bout their business and you ought to just exercise the hell out of Query/400 so that these guys can start to see information about their data they never knew they could ask for.

Show them how you can make this existing machine stand up and dance, and provide them data that helps them run their business better an more profitably. After they get hooked on what YOU can do on this box, let them know that you could do more with a new box. Also let them know that your professional development on current IT infrastructure tools is important to you. If they are smart, they'll invest in you to keep you around. You can let them know that you consider an investment in a new box good for the company, and good for you.

Power consumption savings are trivial and, I don't think, will carry the day. New business intelligence that you can produce using the database and the DB tools is substantial and worthy of their investment.

But that's JMHO.

jte