Excellent, you are in for a real treat. I can still remember my first
COMMON in 1989, it was great. Lots of information, lots of friendly people
willing to help out, and the start of my AS/400 -> iSeries -> IBM i career.

Now, as the current President of COMMON, I might be slightly biased, but I
don't think so. I can honestly say that I owe much of my successful career
to those individuals who shared their knowledge with me as I was "growing
up". Now, I can share what I learned, and that is the coolest part about
being a speaker. Helping others. If you don't wish to be a speaker, there
are other volunteer positions that also are fun and help out the community.

I have learned quite a lot over the years at COMMON (both in sessions and
during informal chats), and have made some great friends as well. It really
is interesting when we have the midrange-l gathering to put a face with a
name. Even now, I still learn quite a lot at each conference, and I enjoy
meeting everyone and making new friends.

Make sure you go to the First timers session, Trevor shares tips and
techniques for mastering the conference. Mike, I wasn't sure if you knew
this or not, but it is customary for any new attendee named Mike to buy the
president a beer at the Power down events (AKA CUDs to the old timers). ;)

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com