On 2/23/11 4:32 PM, Renkema, Rick wrote:
In ASCII to EBCDIC translation, no value below x'20' is converted.
In EBCDIC to ASCII translation, no value below x'40' is converted.

That would be a truly disastrous effect for various text streams which include, for example, the "HT 0x09 Horizontal/Character Tabulation" character or "HT 0x05 Horizontal Tab" character for "tab delimited" data.
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/cdra/appendix_g.html

The only way to be certain, is to try it.

A way to infer... but providing no certainty, other than by assuming no defects. Only with some specific documentation as to the effects, along with such an attempt showing same, would seem IMO to be so conclusive. Because...

Of course if the tested\tried effect is incorrect, but only assumed to be correct based on the results experienced in that test, then when the incorrect output is eventually corrected [e.g. by a PTF or new release], the application would need to be corrected. That remains so, even if the application never diagnoses nor developer ever learns of the defect correction. Or from the perspective of the application, an apparent defect [as changed behavior] appears to have been introduced, versus the actuality of the changed behavior having been a correction.

Regards, Chuck