I wonder if that is caused by commitment control setting on your program
and/or the maintenance program. For example, if you have commitment control
set at *ALL, it will attempt to lock the record even on read/select
operation. Our apps normally operate under *CHG commitment control level.
So, I'm not as familiar with *ALL level, which means that all that I said
above are just a guess :)