From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Earl
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:13 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Is V7R1 catching on?

First off, thanks to everyone that responded - it was helpful (and
hopeful) to see how many are at or soon to be going to V7R1.

Second, I agree with Evan's comment that there really ought to be
something in a release to compel companies to upgrade to it. Frankly,
it was hard for me to see that "something" in V6R1, but V7R1 has a
couple of things.

For me the most compelling reason to go to V7R1 is the automatic
encryption (go figure, huh?) capability that was enabled in the
database with FieldProc. I sense that lots of companies have not
encrypted their truly sensitive data (Credit Cards, SS#, etc.) because
of the size and perceived complexity of inserting encryption into your
application. FieldProc changes that because it allows us to insert
encryption at the database level - reducing or in some case outright
eliminating the need to make application changes - and instead have
"automated encryption" take care of protecting the data.

For me, that's a big plus in the "upgrade to V7R1" column - at least
for companies that have data to protect.

jte