On 2/7/11 3:44 PM, QControlwest wrote:
We are building our new systems and have the opportunity to replicate
systems with our replication software. The software documentation
specifically warns about OS/400 versions.

Management of IBM DB2 libraries (SQL collection) If applications use
advanced functions of DB2, you should create a special group to
replicate only the files in libraries QSYS2, allowing QSYS owner.

Note: If those files are replicated, please pay attention the OS/400
source and target releases compatibility

These files contain information on stored procedures:
SYSPARMS
SYSROUTDEP
SYSROUTINE
Associated logical files

Can we replicate from V6R1 to V7R1 safely?

Any caveats ?

IMO only the physical database *FILE objects should ever be replicated. If any physical changes occur to the catalog files as the effect of a PTF, those changes should be applied only by that PTF, not by any replication; either way, a change would be problematic, having introduced a change which may be an incompatibility with the level of installed OS code [PTF] level. IMO replicating only those three PF would be daft, for having overlooked several [at least one] other SQL catalog TABLE which share the same characteristic of being updated by user SQL DDL activity.

The release comparison [for compatibility] is of the layout\structure [the record format] for the same file between the two releases. If the file type [remain as TABLE or VIEW] and the column\field structures remain the same, then they can be replicated. The file definitions are easily compared by DSPFFD; as well they should be documented in the InfoCenter for the respective releases to allow comparison.

I would personally choose *not* to replicate those files, and instead replicate only the [service] programs that define their data, and have a shop standard that any external definitions need to be "replicated" by issuing the SQL CREATE statement on\at the other system. That may not be compatible with the needs of others; i.e. my opinion only.

When replicating the catalog TABLEs: The objects that reflect the row in the catalog will be updated by both replication of the row and the replication [by restore] of the object. Doubling the I\O for these.

When not replication the catalog TABLEs: External definitions for which no object was created or for which no update [thus no change eligible for replication] was effected to give SQL program associated space to the external program, the row(s) for the /object/ would appear in the catalog only by some\equivalent action [i.e. the SQL CREATE ... EXTERNAL] on the target.

Regards, Chuck