Just thought I'd let you know that this issue has been resolved. A PMR was opened. It seems that everytime the job used an SQL statement embedded in a REXX procedure, a 'space' is attributed and the number of spaces being created was exceeding the maximum available.
The job was failing after about 5000 sql deletes had been issued.
We were finally asked if we could work around with a stored procedure. We embedded the sql in rpg instead.
Shame, it was the only REXX procedure on our system.