To add on to Rick's comments, in years past (upgrades past) when newer/faster hardware (system i) is involved, it's not uncommon for some older equipment to have comm problems. On your network, have you gone from a 10/100 ethernet to gigabit? I know some will say all network equipment should handle it, but older cards on the lan may not.
Jim Franz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Renkema, Rick" <RenkemaR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:54 PM
Subject: RE: Printer Issues after upgrade to v6.1

Hi Nick,

Appears to me that the signal is getting from the i5 to the printer,
otherwise your header wouldn't print.
Appears to me you have it in your mind that there is nothing wrong with
the WSCO as other printers are using it. My question there is, are
these printers the same make and model? Same firmware, software
release? Same configurations?

There is a further thing to check for. Is the spool file a large one?
When the printer produces the header page, does the "data" light on the
printer remain on as it receives data? If nothing prints, I would
suggest that despite the WSCO is working on other printers, you try a
different one - I have always found HP4000 works - Basic, but to confirm
the connection and printer, it will get you something. The data may be
"swallowed" up by the printer as it receives commands it does not know.
What are you sending - PostScript? PCL? Plain *SCS? Has the
configuration on the printers reset? Are you getting anything from the
printer? PostScript error page? a garbage page with one or two
characters on it? Are you using something like FormScape, Jetform,
Create!print?

Is the WSCST one you have written yourself? Or is it a standard one?

Hmm, I wanna know a lot huh?

Rick

We looked into using the xtools but didn't have any luck with them.
The current WSCST should be ok because >> >> other printer are using it
and they don't have a problem.

The information in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The message and files may be protected by legal professional privilege, or other legal rules. The confidentiality of and privilege applying to this message and files is not waived if this message or files has been sent to you by mistake. If the reader of this message or files is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, distribution or copying of this message and files are strictly prohibited. If you receive this message or files in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete all copies from your computer system. It is the recipient's responsibility to check this message and files for viruses.
Thank you.