On 1/28/11 7:56 AM, John Allen wrote:
I cleared library QRPLOBJ and the size still shows as 16,859,136

(Used DSPOBJD QSYS/*ALL OBJTYPE(*LIB) to an outfile)

I then ran a RCLSTG and the size still shows as 16,859,136

I then IPL'd and the size still shows as 16,859,136

There are no objects in the library.

Any ideas on why the size is so large when there are no objects in
the library?

The LIC "index" [i.e. not one of the MI\external] object type that "implements" the *LIB object had [and I believe still has] no supported method to effect truncation of that index; only growth by "insert object" of a new object, and no change by delete or rename of an existing object. Thus the only means to reduce the size of that index, is to create a new *LIB object; of course after DLTLIB. In the case of QRPLOBJ, the CRTLIB is best effected by invocation of a feature supporting the REPLACE() parameter, instead of a user issued CRTLIB, to ensure the OS expected attributes for that library are established.

So anyhow... once there are sufficient inserted objects to have extended\grown the internal index to the size it has reached presently, its size will never be decreased. The library will be capable of containing effectively the same number of objects again in the future, without ever having to grow the existing index due to any Insert Object [i.e. create object] activity. If the number of objects for QRPLOBJ are expected to again reach the same or nearly the same number, repeatedly in future use, that is before when IPL or CLRLIB has not been performed before that size is reached again, then simply leaving the existing library intact is probably the best option.

FWiW: A Reclaim Storage request [by the functions performed], despite possible mis-inference from the term or expression that is its name, does not change the size of objects; albeit perhaps as side effect of some other corrective action. The "storage" that is reclaimed by the request is storage that is not addressable external to the LIC [or where the MI maintains a pointer to that storage]; for storage which should be addressable to users. An IPL by function also would not make any attempt to process any user nor system libraries to adjust the size; although will delete old QTEMP libraries as part of post-IPL cleanup.

Regards, Chuck