On 1/24/11 12:06 PM, DrFranken wrote:
Well Yaaaaaah! Customers who hang around on V4R3 for 10 years and
then jump to 7.1 cannot expect IBM to officially support such a jump.
Despite the fact that it works I do not tell customers: "This is
supported, smooth, or perfect." But it's way better than nothing.

Trust me, I know the difference between 'Supported' and 'Works' :-)
While technically there is a difference, the customer just wants to
be supported when it's done.

Understood, from a perspective of someone providing the support. But the prior reply included the quoted text from the OP, to whom messages were offered, suggesting an upgrade method which seemed problematic for an attempt by the uninitiated; i.e. having to be told how that might be possible, the OP is likely unprepared to perform the necessary steps without suffering through failures of what are neither supported nor work. Especially of note, the example given in an earlier message was a fully supported upgrade over a "N-2" release [i.e. v5r3 to v6r1], but in a reply directly to an inquiry about an unsupported upgrade over a "N-many" release scenario [i.e. v4r3 to IBM i 7.1]; easy enough for an improper inference of validity for application of the steps to an invalid scenario, by comparison to the steps of the valid scenario which was presented.

I am warning the OP against interpreting the other messages as having described some simple means of making a successful jump from v4r3 to v7r1. Best to hire someone who has experience making such a jump work, or follow a supported means, which does not include installing over the restored IBM objects.

Regards, Chuck