I'll check out the appcelerator product.

Are you paying money for it ?

Looks like there's a community version and a $199/month version. Spendy :-)

Trevor Perry also told me about MonoTouch which looks interesting. Using C# to code for the iPad. Interesting.

I was also intrigued by MobiOne. You use their environment to get the base HTML layouts done and then write regular web app code to complete the app.

This could be cool to do a quick web based iPhone/iPad app.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 2
date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 22:55:14 -0500
from: Douglas Handy <dhandy@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Anyone here doing iPhone/iPad Development ?

Richard,

I am starting some iPhone/iPad development investigation and am curious if
anyone here is doing any work using iPhone/iPad with iSeries ?

I am, although currently the "with iSeries" qualifier is indirect. My work is using the ipod Touch with Linea Pro laser barcode scanner / credit card swipe (the sled used by Apple in their stores for POS transactions). It is an order entry / data collection front end to a sales automation system I wrote for a client, which then passes the orders to the iSeries. It runs on the iphone and ipad too but without the laser barcode / swipe. (I do scan via the camera though it is not near as nice as a laser scanner.)

This replaces scanners running palm os. The iphone has enough more capability and horsepower that ultimately I want to tie directly to the iSeries instead of only passing to my PC based sales automation system.

If you are just starting looking at development alternatives, I recommend you consider Appcelerator (www.appcelerator.com ) instead of using XCode.
It isn't fully mature yet, but has a good foundation. And when you need a feature it does not yet have, you can code just that portion in XCode. For example, that is how I coded my Linea Pro integration.