I've got a customer using a 3 drive RAID set on a 520; they were
previously on a small 170. The performance is light years more than
they need - the only person who notices the difference is me when I
compare it to other 520's I've worked on. It is unlikely that they
will ever get close to any of the CPU or disk limits on this machine.

Although I did not develop or install the config, the fact is they
would not get a single benefit from having another disk drive so why
bother with it ?

While I agree that sometimes saving money on a disk f\drive here or
there is simply penny pinching, if you took your logic to it's
ultimate conclusion we'd be insisting all our customers installing
595's with mirrored disk.