Don't do it!

I've never seen a home grown replication system work reliably, that
includes ones I've written (or at least tried to improve)

There's a reason you pay $$$ for a full fledged replication system...

I'd see if you can find some cheap third party options, at one time
Bug Buster's RSF product provided some basic mirroring built
in....they've since expand this functionality into a basic HA system
but you might be able to work with them on the price..
Bug Busters Debuts $1,300 OS/400 Mirroring Solution
http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs060606-story01.html
Bug Busters Adds 'Self-Awareness' Feature to HA Software
http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs100510-story03.html

Another possibility...
http://www.hitsw.com/products_services/dbmoto/dbmoto.html

If you insist on going down this trail of tears...it's a bad idea to
use triggers like you are planning. Unless you can guarantee that the
destination system will always be up when the source system is... even
then it's not the best idea...as the program which made the change
won't get control back till the trigger finishes...

If you're going i to i, remote journals are probably the way to
go...in fact, Larry Youngren has an article which may be of use..
http://systeminetwork.com/article/disaster-recovery-shoestring

If you going between different systems, triggers or journals could be
used. Triggers are probably easier, but there's more information in
the journal. But if you use triggers, the trigger needs to simply
write out to some other file the data to be sent. So I'd only consider
triggers if you'll not already journalling.

Charles