Just a quick question. Why would you choose to put an enterprise class server on a LAN that is managed by a dime store switch/hub?

Jack is most likely correct about the duplex/speed combination of the line description. If it is set to *AUTO then of course that old LAN device will never tell IBM i what its expecting and no communications will happen.

Why not splurge just a touch and get an enterprise quality switch? Cisco and Juniper make great low end 12 port switches that have the backplane speed and processing capability to match the needs of your new POWER system.

This sounds a bit like putting the cheapest tires you can find at the local discount tire mart on an Indy Car and then expecting the car to hold the turns at race speeds. It just don't compute.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC

On 1/3/2011 1:30 PM, Jack Kingsley wrote:
Rich, did you try to tweak your line description to half on duplex to see if
it would have worked.