A very large portion of financial institutions and the Federal Government still use SNA. It's still the most secure and reliable network out there, albeit somewhat more difficult to set up and maintain than TCP/IP.( Ahhh, not I'm thinking now of all those wonderful days getting the NCP to compile and tested on the test network before moving it over to the production network and taking down 1000s of devices because I missed a semicolon somewhere.....) I doubt IBM is going to sunset it anytime soon, nor have I heard any rumblings to that effect, disclosed or otherwise. That said, I also doubt you will see much in the way of enhancements coming out for it either.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC

On 12/20/2010 10:35 PM, CRPence wrote:
On 12/20/10 11:52 AM, Paul Nelson wrote:
> I'm having a senior moment here. Has IBM announced a
> date or OS release where SNADS goes away?

I do not recall any such announcement for EOS [End of Support] or
Withdrawn date by the time v7r1 was in development. That said...

The SNA/DS is part of the OS, supporting a variety of OS features
that depend on those Distribution Services being available. I do not
see the SNA/DS disappearing, at least not to be eliminated in a manner
such that one would be left wondering if\when its demise was or would be
announced. Even OV/400 run-time still exists in the OS; presumably
functional [I even made a fix for a customer-reported problem, issued as
late as v5r4]. If\until in some release the various features dependent
on or implementing SNA/DS such as SNDNETF, SBMNETJOB, WRKNETF, RCVNETF,
WRKDSTQ, CM1\RJE et al. start logging some diagnostic message about a
future loss of function, then I would not be very concerned about lack
of the function or its support.

Regards, Chuck