From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 9:40 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FTP or IFS?

I've got a question about carriage-return and linefeed characters in a
stream file. I am building a text file in the IFS using routines from
Scott Klement's IFS e-book. (Thanks Scott!) Ultimately, we want to
schedule a job to build this file and FTP it to a remote site directly
from the AS/400. In testing I've FTPed the file to my PC from the IFS
via
a DOS FTP command. I used an ASCII transfer. The recipient wants to
verify the file before we go into production. They don't have us set
up
for FTP yet so I uploaded the file to their web site for content
verification. They told me that there were characters at the end of
each
"record" that needed to be removed. At first I didn't notice anything
but
when I looked at the file but when I opened it with a hex editor I see
the
hex characters 00 00 0D 0A at the end of each record which would seem
be two nulls, a carriage-return, and a linefeed. Is it likely that
these
are being inserted when I am building the IFS file or could they be
getting added in the EBCDIC to ASCII translation in the FTP process?
The
recipient says that they only want a carriage-return. Thoughts?

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
324 Morrow Street