Most likely when you are creating the data records you are creating a data record with two NULLs (00 00) and then appending a CRLF (0D 0A).

You need to strip the nulls from the data lines before writing to IFS. Nulls not good in a text file :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 9
date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:39:43 -0500
from: daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: FTP or IFS?

I've got a question about carriage-return and linefeed characters in a
stream file. I am building a text file in the IFS using routines from
Scott Klement's IFS e-book. (Thanks Scott!) Ultimately, we want to
schedule a job to build this file and FTP it to a remote site directly
from the AS/400. In testing I've FTPed the file to my PC from the IFS via
a DOS FTP command. I used an ASCII transfer. The recipient wants to
verify the file before we go into production. They don't have us set up
for FTP yet so I uploaded the file to their web site for content
verification. They told me that there were characters at the end of each
"record" that needed to be removed. At first I didn't notice anything but
when I looked at the file but when I opened it with a hex editor I see the
hex characters 00 00 0D 0A at the end of each record which would seem to
be two nulls, a carriage-return, and a linefeed. Is it likely that these
are being inserted when I am building the IFS file or could they be
getting added in the EBCDIC to ASCII translation in the FTP process? The
recipient says that they only want a carriage-return. Thoughts?

Dave Parnin