Coming in from the outside, the firewall might be blocking access to telnet (port 23) -- so you would first need to establish a VPN connection, (so your PC would then be considered to be "inside the firewall" and you could use the 10.1.1.1 address), or perhaps you might need to use some "magic" alternate port number when using telnet from "outside" the firewall.

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 12/9/2010 11:23 AM, Bob Voltz wrote:
Maybe I am asking this question wrong.

The address of my system is using WRKTCPSTS is 10.1.1.1, which is correct
inhouse.

Documentation that I have says I should use 63.87.138.169 when outside the
company network. This doesn't seem to work.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Russ Meyer
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:46 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to determine telnet address

Bob,
Your telnet address is your IP address of your iSeries, if you do not know
this you can find this a number of different ways on the iSeries. One way
would be to do the following on the command line:
WRKTCPSTS then take option 1 you should see a few address in this list and
in most cases the address you are looking for is the very first one and it
should be in a active status. The default port for telnet is 23 if you need
that.
> From the network, depending on security of your network you can also do an
nslookup nameofiSeries from a command prompt using the name of your iSeries
and it should return this address also.

Russell Meyer FLMI, ACS, PCS, ARA
Technical Services Supervisor
National Guardian Life Insurance