Yes. The sa wrote an exit program to do this.

John McKee

-----Original message-----
From: Jack Kingsley iseriesflorida@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:40:02 -0600
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LUD list

Are you using an exit program to control device assignments.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM, jmmckee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The shop is at v5r4. No current on PTFs. Not something I am allowed or
responsible for doing. The sa does not like to get involved with this
stuff. And, as I have posted before, is antisocial.

We had a spate of devices that would not connect in 2006. At the time, I
learned that there was a maximum number that could/should be assigned to a
subsystem. I passed that on to the sa, who ignored it. The device issues
continued. He >finally< contacted IBM and was given a procedure to recover
devices that get hung. He was also told to create an additional subsystem,
which he did. Problem went away. It is now back. Three devices, in two
days, so far have been hung.

The procedure from IBM was to do a DMPSYSOBJ OBJ(PASSTHRU#LUD#LIST)
CONTEXT(QSYS) TYPE(0E) SUBTYPE(EF)

scan the spool file for the hung device

If found, vary off the device and then issue this command:
CALL PGM(QSPTLIB/QPARIXEN) PARM('device name')

That works.

My question (sorry about the length of this), does anybody know if the
underlying problem has been addressed by an APAR and PTF?

If, such exists, I >might< be able to get my supervisor to persuade the sa
(who he also directs or tries to) to apply either the latest cum or a
specific PTF.

This is nuts.

Sorry for the rant and length. Just gets frustrating.

John McKee