On 11/1/2010 3:08 PM, Dan Kimmel wrote:
What would make it more readable is that I can use an OPEN/CLOSE cursor within a recursive ILE procedure and let the recursion stack keep track of my position within each recursive cursor. With SETLL/READE, I've got to have an F-spec for the file within each procedure (only doable on 6.1+). I can't help thinking that building the new ODP from each F-spec would be kind of slow, maybe slower than setting a new cursor. If I don't have a new F-spec within each procedure, I've got to build some mechanism for reseting the position in the READE list whenever a recursion returns; that mechanism becomes hard for the maintenance programmer to read and decipher.

Gotcha. I see your point. Although honestly I would probably just do it the way I've always done it, by keeping my own stack of keys and simply setting limits as I pop up the stack. That's GOT to be quicker than either creating a new cursor or opening a new ODP for a file in a procedure. That's one of the things I really, really like about ISAM access - I can jump around the file with very little penalty.

Joe