Let's start with this question: How do I tell what the recommended ptf's
for TCP/IP are?
First, make sure you are running the latest "cume" and appropriate "group"
ptfs. You can view/order these via Fix Central for supported versions of
the operating system at:
http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/main/System+i
If you just want to view them you can try:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/GroupPTFs?OpenView&view=GroupPTFs
See also the appropriate SF98vrm (example SF98710) at
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.nsf/ALLPSPBYREL
This will tell you the current cume level.

Now, there may be additional recommended ptf's for various products. You
can look for them at:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/recommendedfixes

You can also search ptf cover letters at
http://www-912.ibm.com/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/as4ptfhome
For example, if I search for 5770TC1 in just the 7.1 ptfs I will get about
20 hits.

Does that help?

You can search your ptf's by starting out with WRKPTFGRP. I am assuming
that you are on some supported version of the operating system. This
command has changed over the years. It's rather new and the first release
of the os that supported it did not show the cume. After using this for
groups and the cume I would then suggest
DSPPTF OUTPUT(*PRINT)
I find this easier to scan for individual ptf numbers without having to
know if SI12345 is for TC1, SS1, etc.

Does this help?