Hi Mike:

I love simplicity, where the user can do anything right from the IBM i box.

I'm successfully printing PDFs created in our IBM I box directly a Printers attached to it, either in the local network or remote printers and it works really well.

So, here is my advice in simple steps:
1) Convert the PDF to PCL using ghostscript.
2) Transfer the PCL file to a Printer File Defined as *USERASCII Device Type, using FTP.
3) Move the new spool file created to the IBM i Printer of you desire.

The instructions for those simple steps are:

1) Download GPL Ghostscript 8.54, precompiled for Unix, but will run on PASE http://computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/aixpdslib/pub/ghostscript/RISC/5.3/exec/

2) Download ghostcript Standard Type 1 base fonts http://code.google.com/p/ghostscript/downloads/detail?name=ghostscript-fonts-std-8.11.tar.gz&can=2&q=
2.1) Use 7z under windows to untar from .gz into .tar both files.

3) Open Filezilla, FTP the .tar files into /QopenSys

4) Open PASE on the System i: CALL PGM(QP2TERM)

5) tar -xvf "ghostscript.8.54.tar"
It untar it directly into the Folder needed.

6) tar -xvf "ghostscript-fonts-std-8.11.tar.gz"

7) On Regular IBM i Command line, add the environment variable:
ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(GS_LIB) VALUE('/QOpenSys/usr/local/bin:/QOpenSys/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/lib:/QOpenSys/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/Resource/fonts')
export GS_LIB=/QOpenSys/usr/local/bin:/QOpenSys/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/lib:/QOpenSys/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/Resource/fonts
set GS_LIB=/QOpenSys/usr/local/bin:/QOpenSys/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/lib:/QOpenSys/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/Resource/fonts

8) Execute the conversion:
CALL QP2SHELL2 PARM('/QOpenSys/usr/local/bin/gs' '-dQUIET' '-dBATCH' '-dNOPAUSE' '-sDEVICE=ljet4' '-sOutputFile=/temp/file.pcl' '/home/jorge/ShapesExamples-rpg.pdf')
/QOpenSys/usr/local/bin/gs -dQUIET -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=/temp/file.pcl /home/jorge/ShapesExamples-i.pdf

8.a) If you want to test it on your windows environment:
set path = %PATH%;C:\Users\Jmerinoh\Documents\FIN\ghostscript\8.54\usr\local\share\ghostscript\8.54;C:\Users\Jmerinoh\Documents\FIN\ghostscript\8.54\usr\local\share\ghostscript\8.54\lib;C:\Users\Jmerinoh\Documents\FIN\ghostscript\8.54\usr\local\share\ghostscript\8.54\Resource\fonts

gs -dQUIET -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=C:\Users\Jmerinoh\Documents\FIN\FTP\file.pcl C:\Users\Jmerinoh\Documents\FIN\FTP\AR0760RU-072310-20574348.NML.PDF

9) Duplicate QSYSPRT as YOURLIB/qsyspdf and change to DEVTYPE(*USERASCII)

10) Transfer using FTP
FTP localhost
namefmt 1
binary
put /temp/file.pcl /qsys.lib/YOURLIB.lib/qsyspdf.file

11) Move the spool file generated to a Laser Printed attached over the network on the System i.

----
After you are done with your testing, you might want to automate the steps 8,9,10 and 11.

Hope it helps.

Jorge Merino