Using the Job Notification exit point documented at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/xjobntfy.htm
you
could, with a very simple program, capture the job start times, end times,
end severity, etc and then write this data to a database file. Once in the
database you can query and consolidate using mechanisms such as you
mentioned in your post.

Using the exit point will have the advantage that you don't have to poll
QHST and/or filter out what you don't want/need from QHST.

Bruce Vining
http://www.brucevining.com/