In our company, if you get training approved, you 'pay them back' with your service there.
In other words, if you go to PHP school, and then turn around in a month and get a job programming in PHP somewhere else, you owe the company back most of the cost they invested in you for training. But if you stay around for 3 years, you owe them nothing. I personally think that is fair.

I am going to down load BCD's web smart trial and test it out. I am not trying to promote the product, but the nice thing about it from my research is that it will create a shell for using using PHP. You can then look at the code and see what gets created. You need Zendserver, which I need to get permission to get loaded on our production box. The code is stand alone, it does not require BCD to make the application run. But you can use their program to modify the application graphically and it will create the code for you.

And so far it is all free.

Don't know if it would be a problem for you to load zendserver or not. Even if you do not have any time at work and want to work at home, you could develop PHP if you can remote into your PC.

If you know nothing about SQL, see if you can do a STRQM. The interface is similar to STRQRY option 1. Create something there that extracts information from a file. If you press F18, Display SQL, you can see the SQL behind the selection. I know I learn better by seeing the results and how they were obtained.

I wish you well, Kelley, even having a DESIRE to expand your horizons is a big step.

Tom Deskevich