I suspect that IBM's recommendation is based upon the fact that they don't
(or can't) guarantee the files of UDFS are committed to disk at any given
point in time. I think the key to determining if your strategy is sound, is
to find out *why* IBM makes such a recommendation.

If IBM's concern is based upon the possibility of uncommitted data, then it
seems you'd do well to unmount and remount the FS, which should force
changes to be committed, and then carry on with your present strategy.

Dennis Lovelady
"People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves
than by those found by others."
-- Blaise Pascal

I have hundreds of thousands of small Bill Images (65k each) stored in
the IFS on my V5R4M5 iSeries.

I use an UDFS to store these files on a separate ASP.

My save strategy is to save all of these stream files once a month
(Full Save)... A Cumulative save weekly... and an Incremental save
daily.

I suppose that in order to do this I would need to save the UDFS while
it is mounted.

However, I keep seeing in InfoCenter, that a UDFS should be saved after
un-mounting it.

So in my implementation I guess IBM recommends I un-mount the UDFS and
save it as /dev/QASP04/billimages.udfs instead of the directory it is
usually mounted over /PRDSCIS/BILLIMAGE.

My concern with doing this is that I would loose the ability to do
Incremental saves and I wouldn't have any information in the BRMS
database, about the files and directories I have saved to tape.

Do you think my save strategy as outlined above (keeping the UDFS
mounted) is sound?

Do I have to do anything special to restore these files (except create
the UDFS and mount it) when I do a DR test or other recovery?