It took me a little while to get this "Alternate IPL" device separate from
"Alternate Installation" device. I did, after a spell, figure out that
certain tape drives will not allow themselves to be "Alternate IPL"
devices. So I would have to boot from CD/DVD. But, once booted, I could
restore lic, os and everything else from the "Alternate Installation"
device (my tape drive).

It should have been done differently. But since you are already hosed I
suggest following the earlier instructions about CHKPRDOPT, checking ptf
group levels, etc.

And the remark about "proxy" commands is spot on. It's something new on
IBM i that wasn't on AS/400's. Many of the LPP commands in QSYS are
really nothing but pointers to the commands in the LPP libraries. Copying
the command from the LPP library to QSYS may work for now but it isn't
kosher.