On 8/20/2010 8:42 PM, ssc1478 wrote:
We're on V6.1, so I figured the fix was already in the OS. I'll work
with this a bit more next week, and once I'm convinced it isn't me
I'll call IBM to get the 6.1 PTF nbr.

You shouldn't have this problem on 6.1. you might be right -- it might be you. I don't remember what you said in your original message anymore, I'll have to look at it more carefully.

Why should I use qshell over qp2shell? I don't know enough about them
to understand what the differences mean.

I have to admit that I don't fully understand. IBM has told me that QP2SHELL can be problematic in many cases, because it runs the program in the same job (which is set up for the ILE environment) and this causes various issues with Unix compatibility. They say that it's better to run things in QP2TERM (which only works in interactive jobs) or QShell... QShell has extra tools to make it more versatile when calling Unix code from a program, plus it works in batch, so it seems like the clear winner.

You can also use my UnixCmd tools if you like -- they are intended to make it as easy as possible to utilize this sort of code from programs -- but of course, they aren't included with the OS, and not supported by IBM, so many people opt to stick with QShell.

Is it possible for the error to propagate? I want to keep this as
simple as possible because once I'm done with it, I don't want to be
the only one who can support it.

You have to propagate it yourself. Just insert code to do that, it may be a little tedious, but it isn't hard.

Regarding support... this is actually a Unix shell script you're writing. There are millions upon millions of people out there with Unix shell script knowledge. Though, of course, it's not a normal skill for IBM i developers. (But that's changing, little by little.)

Anyway... I'm going to go back and look at your earlier message...