As I stated on Friday (below) the Next IPL=Abnormal is apparently related to the QJVACMDSRV job ending abnormally. This job, in this instance, is directly related to QIBMHELP server in the QSYSWRK subsystem:

Subsystem/Job User Type CPU % Function Status
QIBMHELP QIBMHELP BCH .0 PGM-STRECLIPSE TIMW
QJVACMDSRV QIBMHELP BCI .0 JVM-org.eclips JVAW

Neither process is running on our backup system which has a Next IPL=Normal status. I even re-IPLed that server this morning and still nothing related to these services.

Thanks to a message by Jim Franz in the archives I found an IBM Technical document (http://preview.tinyurl.com/qibmhelp) about the QIBMHELP server.

Using the QShell command mentioned in the document did *not* start QIBMHELP on the backup system. Neither did the command STRTCPSVR *IBMHELP. Apparently that server is immune to any help. .-) Oh, and I checked the QUSRSYS/QATOCSTART file and QIBMHELP has a status of *Yes for AutoStart on that server. Admittedly I'm confused as the only thing I found about QIBMHELP itself as " Is an Eclipse-based Information Center that is used to deliver Help documentation." In the 5.4 InfoCenter. What kind of help is beyond me since Help works in both CL and WDSc on the backup server, which is not running QIBMHELP.

Since my goal is to try to prevent an abnormal IPL by determining why this one went abnormal on the production system, it seems that changing the QATOCSTART autostart option to *No would be the route to go - unless someone has a reasoned, strenuous objection to that course of action.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
There will be a procession next Sunday afternoon in the grounds of the Monastery; but if it rains in the afternoon, the procession will take place in the morning. - Announcement read to a church congregation