Dennis,

Given the following:
A UNIQUE
A R TESTTBLR
A MYKEY 10A
A MYFLD 100A
A K MYKEY

This SQL defined table will have the same record format ID.
create table TESTTBLR (
mykey char(10) not null with default,
myfld char(100) not null with default,
primary key (mykey));

rename table TESTTBLR
to system name TESTTBL;

In fact, you can even take advantage of long names:
create table C1162332/TESTTBLR (
my_long_key_field for mykey
char(10) not null with default,
my_long_field for myfld
char(100) not null with default,
primary key (my_long_key_field));

rename table C1162332/TESTTBLR
to MY_TEST_TABLE;

rename table C1162332/MY_TEST_TABLE
to system name TESTTBL;

The key prior to v5r4's addition of the RCDFMT keyword is to initially
create the table with the record format name (TESTTBLR) as the table
name.

HTH,
Charles