You may want one more parameter. decimal places. That way you know how
many to assume when not entered by the user.

From:
Michael Naughton <michael_naughton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
07/14/2010 10:20 AM
Re: Was a decimal point keyed?
Sent by:
<midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Number one, make it clear to the users that you can do what they are
asking, but it will take time, which is either money or lost opportunity
elsewhere or both. Is there a business case for this requirement that
makes that effort worthwhile? That's their
call, and if the answer is "yes" then it looks like you'll have to go
ahead and do it.

Number two, even if you're not using service programs and ILE and all that
stuff, you can encapsulate the logic of decoding, verifying, and
translating user input into a separate program that you then call from
wherever you need to. Pass it an alpha parm
that is big enough to hold your longest entry field, a parm to hold the
actual length of the current entry field, a parm to return the number
value (big enough on both sides of the decimal to handle all cases), and
some sort of error indicator. The steps
you outlined sound tedious, but if you put them in their own separate
routine I think you'll find that using that routine mulitple times in a
program is fairly manageable, and if you need to tweak it down the road
you only need to tweak one place.

hth,

Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Any final thoughts before I admit defeat on this?

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Judd Wire, Inc.
124 Turnpike Road
Turners Falls, MA 01376
413-676-3144
Internal: x 444
mnaughton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended
recipient, be advised that any use is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify us immediately by replying to it and then delete it from your
computer.