With my Smith Corona typewriter I am a skilled RPG IV programmer and
system admin on my POWER 6 IBM i

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/usb-typewriter-turns-ipad-into-pa
per/

If you have $400 and a serious case of nostalgic yearning, may we then
suggest you spend the money on a wonderful USBTypewriter? Described as a
"groundbreaking innovation in the field of obsolescence," the typewrit
mmmmmmmmer can hook up to any machine with a USB port and lets you
clickety-clack your way through your latest novel, e-mail or even
spreadsheet.

The Typewriter Dock, seen in the video above, is an even better version.
It holds an iPad in its carriage whilst simultaneously inputting typed
letters. All it needs is a Bluetooth component to replace the cable, and
a writing app that can use the accelerometer to detect a carriage return
and move you to a new line. Ding!

Inside there is a sensor strip under the keyboard which detects the
key-presses that hit it, and this pulse of electricity is then passed on
to an Arduino circuit-board, whereupon it is translated into a standard
USB key-down event. All you need to do is plug it in and type.