If possible due to time constraints and what not, my choice is to always
want to do a backup from one machine and restore to a new machine at the
same release, and then upgrade that. It is the simplest, most
straightforward approach you will find. In addition, when you do the
restore you are getting everything from the old system. I have seen people
try to do shortcuts, and they think they have everything, and then a few
weeks later they realize they don't have a few items, or the reply list
entries didn't come across, or the system values aren't the same. It
doesn't matter what the difference is, it will be there and it will raise
its ugly head when you least expect it.

I would Order the new machine and do a full restore to the machine, and then
upgrade that machine. If you have release level compatibility issues, then
search the archives myself and others have commented on doing mixed mode
release upgrades. You might spend a little more time initially doing this,
but you will save more hours than you can imagine during your testing.

JMHO,

Pete

--
Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions

Add iTech Solutions on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126431824120
Add iTech Solutions on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2206093

iTech Solutions because IBM i (AS/400s) didn't come with System
Administrators