I heard back from IBM's Debbie Saugen, you said the following:

“In your scenario we're going to be overlapping getting SWA
checkpoints and saving the libraries at the same time. So the
timing of reaching checkpoints and completing the saves will vary.

The time it takes to reach checkpoint does not depend on the size of
the objects but rather the actual number of objects in library.

As you know the best way to ensure there are no lock conflicts is to
end the applications, SWA *SYNCLIB and then restart the applications.”

So what’s happening is as follows:
23:00 Start checking pointing for HLTHPRDFIL, HLTHPRDPGM, PRCPRDFIL,
(and 15 others)
23:01 Checkpointing complete for HLTHPRDFIL, Save of HLTHPRDFIL begins
02:27 Checkpointing complete for HLTHPRDPGM
02:29 Checkpointing complete for PRCPRDFIL
<15 others>
03:10 Save complete for HLTHPRDFIL, Save of HLTHPRDPGM begins

Given that we're running on a single CPU 810 with only 12GB of memory,
and 10% free disk space, the concurrent nature of the save and the
checkpointing of the rest of the libraries spells trouble for us; :)
with regards to how long the "checkpointing in progress" locks are
held on the objects in the other 17 libraries.

Charles Wilt